Friday, January 4, 2013

Junkanoo!!

Awe....don't ya just love that face?!!

Ok....I promised a blog for January 2nd and did not deliver...sorry. It's been a busy couple of days. We had a FABULOUS time at the New Years Junkanoo in Green Turtle Cay. The costumes, the people, the overall vibe of that experience is so amazing. It's almost tribal with the drums & the horns & the dancing. Everybody was hungover from our awesome New Years Eve party but once you get to Junkanoo your spirit is recharged in a way that only drums & music can do. And a little hair of the dog is helpful. I don't think I can find the words to express the fun of that day. I'll just let the pics speak for themselves. Unfortunately, my camera batteries died after the first 6 pictures...however, my friend Dana from s/v Corsair, is a professional photographer & she took 600 pictures. When she went home & edited...she kept 8. So, I think I managed to capture the spirit of Junkanoo in spite of the battery issue. :) My only regret is not being able to take pictures of Monique from s/v Last Waltz, playing the bongo drums like an island native with the band.

The Bahamian police starting to clear the streets for Junkanoo. That pink building in the background is the old jail in Green Turtle...
 

Woo Hoo!!! It's starting!!
 

OH!!!! The absolute JOY of Junkanoo !!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

January 2nd we woke early to head back to Marsh Harbor. Despite getting up at 6:30am we didn't leave Green Turtle until after 12:00 due to fuel dock issues. We arrived in Marsh Harbor @ 4pm dead tired. But then...s/v Corsair invited us over for lobster dinner so we put our big girl & big boy pants on & had an amazing dinner.

Today we got up early again & went straight to work on chores. Scott went to work on the macerator, I did laundry, we had the dinghy motor serviced, reprovisioned the groceries....went to a cruisers potluck for dinner. Wowza! Non-stop until now. Tomorrow we have a couple more chores to do & hope to be sailing south by noon. We are now headed to another set of islands in the Bahamas. 1st stop...Eleuthra. We will sail to Lynyard Cay tomorrow (about 3.5 hours) then the next day cross to Eleuthra. It's about a 10 hour crossing over VERY deep (15,000+ ft) water. It was the only crossing that I was sea sick last year (due to the 10-12 foot waves) so...crossing my fingers it will be a smoother ride this year. The weather is good, the winds are in our favor, so it seems a good time to go.

I'm not sure what my Internet situation will be but hopefully I will be able to do a blog wherever there is cell phone service thanks to my iPad....however, I've already been trying to post this blog for the past 1.5 hours & I'm in the 3rd largest city in all of the Bahamas. There's plenty of cell phone service here. I dont understand why its so slow. Internet service in the Islands is not the high speed, INSTANT information, you get in the States. Don't forget...I'm paying for the painfully slow service I have now....and grateful to have it. Just need a HUGE dose of patience. Huge. Like an overdose. Lord help me.

Stay tuned for the next round of adventures! Love & Miss everybody!

Love,

Michelle, Scott & Jib

 

2 comments:

Hal said...

You guys were supposed to get dressed up and join in. :-)

azkodiak said...

Mom and I just love you guys and enjoy all of your pictures. We are selling Sea Shell nite- lights and Conch Shell lights and having a wonderful time here. We hope to join you sometime in the spring this year or next.
Our business is picking up we are enjoying the good-life not the great-life. Mom said to tell you we are going to sell Conch Shell Horns, thanks to you guys... Love, Mom & Dad